Recommended NAPHA Guidelines

Book and hunt only with a NAPHA member and an operator who can prove that he is registered with the Namibian Tourism Board. Consult the annual Hunt in Namibia magazine or refer to this website for a complete membership list. It is highly recommended that you enter into a written and signed pre-hunt agreement/ contract mutually agreed upon with your trophy-hunting operator or agent.

It is recommended that you request to see your trophy-hunting permit prior to commencing your hunt. If no permit has been issued, your trophy export will be jeopardised. All trophies taken must be checked and signed by the hunting client and the hunting professional on the trophy-hunting permit on completion of the hunt. There is no limit to the number of firearms that may be imported into Namibia for trophy-hunting purposes

  • NAPHA, however, recommends a maximum of two firearms per hunting client;
  • If travelling through South Africa, keep in mind that immigration control there clears a maximum of two firearms for import;
  • Any unconventional firearm to be imported for trophy-hunting purposes is to be applied for to the Inspector General before arrival;
  • It is suggested that you bring between sixty and eighty rounds of ammunition per hunting rifle.

Travelling with firearms to Namibia

Take out full insurance for all firearms before travelling anywhere in Africa. NAPHA recommends flying directly to Namibia from Europe into Hosea Kutako International Airport near Windhoek. This will minimize delays associated with firearm transport. Air Namibia offers a direct service.

Recent regulations have made travelling with firearms a time-consuming process when entering South Africa. Make sure that you stay in transit with your luggage. It is suggested that you adhere to the following procedure to minimize problems when travelling with firearms:

  • All bags need to be adequately marked with nametags for identification;
  • Pack an unloaded rifle in a sturdy carry case;
  • Have a separate lockable container in which to store your ammunition separate from your rifle in your checked luggage;
  • At the check-in counter at the point of departure, insist that the agent check your firearm through to Hosea Kutako International Airport, Windhoek. Your bag tag should read, for example: New York - Frankfurt -Windhoek OR Atlanta - Johannesburg - Windhoek. (This is sometimes not possible if the airlines that you are using do not have baggage agreements. Inquire about this before purchasing your ticket.);
  • Windhoek Airport's International baggage code is WDH; and
  • Physically check baggage tag to ensure that it has been correctly printed and attached. Inquire if a colorful 'in transit tag' is necessary when travelling through another country.

Should you have any reason to be dissatisfied while hunting in Namibia with a NAPHA member, please inform the NAPHA office, in writing, with the full details of your complaint at napha(at)

Visa Requirements

All visitors to Namibia must be in possession of a valid passport. Temporary residence permits for visitors are issued on arrival and allow tourists a period of 90 days per year in the country.

Bona fide tourists and business travelers of the following countries are exempted from visa requirements: Angola, Austria, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Mozambique, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Tanzania, United Kingdom, United States of America, Zimbabwe.

Visitors are, however, advised to confirm visa requirements with their travel agent.

Hunting Laws

The trophy hunting season stretches from 1st February to 30th November. During December and January the hunting season is closed to trophy hunting. February may still fall within the rainy season and November may still be too hot.

Hunting Guides

Hunting shall be conducted exclusively in company of a registered hunting guide , master hunting guide or professional hunter.

Hunting guides (HG) may only conduct hunts on their own farm(s), duly registered as a hunting farm(s).

Master hunting guides (MHG) may only conduct hunts on their own farm(s) duly registered, plus two additional duly registered hunting farms.

Professional hunters (PH) may conduct hunts on all farms, provided they have written permission from the owner of the property independent of whether the farm is registered or not.

P H with big-game licence - only these PH's may conduct hunts with guests for elephant, rhinoceros, buffalo and lion.

Bow hunting - only hunting guides/ master hunting guides/ professional hunters in possession of a valid bow hunting license may conduct bow hunting and guide bow hunters.

Hunting permits

A hunt shall only commence if the HG / MHG / PH has obtained a valid hunting permit (trophy hunting permit) from Nature Conservation prior to the start of the hunt. For cheetah and leopard an additional hunting permit has to be obtained prior to the start of the hunt.

Wing shooting

A hunter may take no more than two members of the permitted bird species during the hunt, which will be listed in the trophy permit. During the official "wing shooting season" more of each species is allowed.

Hunting clients

A hunting guide, master hunting guide or professional hunter shall accompany only two hunters to hunt simultaneously.


Smallest calibre 7 mm.
Minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity): 1350 Joule for springbuck, duiker etc.
2700 Joule for hartebeest, wildebeest, kudu, gemsbuck, eland etc.
5400 Joule for buffalo, elephant, rhino etc.
No solid point cartridge is allowed to be used on antelope or any other species.
Fully automatic weapons (e.g. AK 47 and other military hardware) are PROHIBITED.
Other self-loading, considered semi-automatic weapons are NOT PROHIBITED, but you can expect questions at the Airport of importation.
Handguns and automatic weapons are prohibited!

Bow hunting

A Hunting Guide, Master Hunting Guide or Professional Hunter with additional qualifications for bow hunting must guide trophy hunters. Bow-hunting for trophies may only take place on game farms and areas which are registered for this purpose with the Ministry of Environment and Tourism. Hunting permits for various game species must be organized by the outfitter.

Click here to go to the top of the page.